Vegetable fried rice step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Vegetable fried rice is a popular Indo-Chinese dish. This simple dish is loaded with vegetables and can be made very easily with a handful of ingredients. This fried rice is made with the Indian variety of rice and is not with sticky rice. The final dish itself has the texture of pulao rather than sticky rice.
Veg fried rice that is sold at restaurants is usually loaded with MSG or Ajinomoto like all other Indo-Chinese dishes. The adverse effects that MSG has on our health is well known. So we avoid eating Indo-Chinese outside. But the fact is delicious Indo-Chinese dishes can be made at home without any additives. And they taste better than the restaurant ones. Eat homemade Indo-Chinese dishes that are delicious and restaurant-style without compromising on health.
About Indo-Chinese cuisine
Indian-Chinese cuisine or Indo-Chinese cuisine is a distinct fusion cuisine where Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques are adapted to Indian taste buds. Popularly known as Desi Chinese, they are one of the most famous forms of street food in India. This cuisine originated from the Chinese community in Kolkata and is very famous within and outside India. Chinese sauces like soy sauce and vinegar combined with Indian ingredients like ginger, garlic and chilli create the most unique-tasting and delicious dishes.
Rice: I use Basmati rice for this dish which works best. Any Indian variety rice used for pulao/biryani will work.
Vegetables: I use carrot, capsicum, onion, green beans, and scallions/spring onions.
Sauces: I use soy sauce, vinegar and red chilli paste/sauce.
Ginger and garlic: I use finely chopped ginger and garlic.
Tips for making the best-tasting vegetable fried rice
Keep all the ingredients ready and handy before starting cooking. Chop the vegetables, measure the sauces, and cook and cool the rice before you begin making the fried rice.
Wash the rice well till the water runs clear. Use lots of water to boil the rice and drain it well. This is to avoid the stickiness of the rice. Do not refresh the cooked rice, as we do with noodles.
Stir-fry the vegetables for 2-3 minutes only. Do not cover them. They should have a crunch in them.
Leftover rice can be used to make this dish.
Do not add the cabbage along with other vegetables. Add it just before the rice and stir-fry very briefly. Adding the cabbage after adding vinegar will prevent building the odour from cabbage.
Once the rice is cooked, let it cool uncovered. If you cover it, the rice will overcook and turn mushy.
Chinese cooking is done on high heat very quickly. Stir-frying on high heat produces the characteristic smoky flavour – but take care not to burn the food.
Soy sauce is quite salty. So adjust the salt level accordingly.
Tomato sauce/ketchup can be used if you prefer a mild sweetness. Also, red chilli paste can be replaced with a hot sauce.
Here is my recipe for simple veg fried rice. Try it and let me know how you like it.
Click here for more Indo-Chinese recipes.
This dish is:
- gluten free
- loaded with vegetables
- great for lunchboxes
Step by step recipe
1. Boil rice until almost done
2. Strain it and let it cool completely
3. Heat oil and add ginger and garlic. Saute on high flame
4. Add onions once the ginger-garlic is done
5. Add carrot, capsicum, green beans, and scallions
6. Stir-fry the vegetables on high heat for 2-3 minutes
7. Add red chilli paste and mix well
8. Add soy sauce and vinegar. Saute for a minute
9. Add cabbage and stir-fry briefly
10. Next, add the rice
11. Mix gently taking care not to break the rice
12. Add salt and white pepper powder
13. Toss the rice on high heat
14. Garnish with spring onions
Vegetable fried rice
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup cabbage finely chopped
- ¼ cup green beans finely chopped
- ¼ cup scallions finely chopped
- ½ cup capsicum finely chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp red chilli paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Soak in water for 15-20 minutes
- Take 8-9 cups of water in a large saucepan and bring to boil
- Once the rice is soaked, drain the water from it and add to boiling water
- Cook until the rice is almost done (similar to al-dente in pasta)
- Strain the water and let it cools completely
- Heat oil in a large wok/kadhai on high flame. Add ginger, garlic and saute for a few seconds
- Add onion, carrot, capsicum, green beans, and scallions. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add red chilli paste and mix well
- Add soy sauce and vinegar. Mix well
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry briefly
- Add the rice and mix gently
- Toss the rice on high heat for 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the flame and garnish with spring onions
- Serve hot
- It is essential to keep all the ingredients ready and handy before starting cooking.
- Chinese cooking is done on high heat very quickly. Stir-frying on high heat produces the characteristic smoky flavour – but take care not to burn the food.
- Soy sauce is quite salty. So adjust the salt level accordingly
Click here to watch vegetable fried rice web story.