Vermicelli Upma (Shavige Uppittu) recipe.
Vermicelli upma or shavige uppittu is a very common breakfast in Karnataka. It’s a delicious and healthy way to start the day. Or it can be a quick after-school or evening snack for the kids. My daughter loves this so much, she doesn't mind if I overload it with veggies. A great way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
Shavige uppittu is prepared with shavige (vermicelli), onion, tomatoes, and veggies. To make this dish, I roast the vermicelli first in some ghee. I then prepare tempering with whole spices, curry leaves, and saute onion in it. I add chopped vegetables (like beans, peas, capsicum, carrots, etc.) and water, and let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked. I then add the roasted vermicelli and cook for a couple of minutes. Once they are cooked, I increase the flame and dry out any moisture present. I finish it off with freshly grated coconut and coriander leaves. Lemon juice can be added to but is optional.
For a variation, try semolina upma, which uses semolina instead of vermilcelli. Click here for the recipe!
For gluten-free upma, make with with leftover idlis. Click here for recipe of idli upma.
Shavige uppittu loaded with rainbow vegetables
- 2 cups vermicelli (shavige)
- 2-3 tbsp ghee (can be replaced with oil)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tsp split Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 2-3 green chillies finely sliced
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetables carrot, beans, peas, potato, capsicum, etc.
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp coconut grated
- A few coriander leaves for garnish
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in a pan or wok and roast the vermicelli on low heat till golden and aromatic. Set it aside
- In the same pan, add remaining ghee/oil and heat. Add mustard seed and let it splutter. Reduce heat, add cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, ginger, and chilli and saute for a couple of minutes
- Add onions and saute till translucent
- Add the remaining vegetables, turmeric powder, salt, and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add water and bring it to boil. Let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked
- Add the roasted vermicelli. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes until the vermicelli is cooked and the water dries
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and coconut
- You can increase or reduce the amount of vegetables depending on preference
- You can add boiled vegetables to reduce the cooking time